23kg?! 50lbs?! Like what did I do to get rid of all that weight?!
A LOT OF SHIT.
But I will list out the things that I feel that are important, but remember that I am still a work in progress.
1. I identified what my problem is when it comes to food. I sat down and figured out what was my problem and it came down to:
i: I was a binge eater. When other people could let a pack of chips go unfinished, I can’t. I have to eat the whole thing in one sitting. Also, I always go for bigger portion for anything and everything.
ii: I was an emotional eater. I ate when I’m bored, when I’m sad, when I’m angry. I can’t deal with my emotions, so I ate through them.
iii: I had, and still do, have a “trigger food”. My trigger food is chocolate and interestingly enough, Nutella. The moment I get chocolate and/or Nutella, I won’t be able to stop.
So I identified my food-related problems and remedied them. It did not happened overnight, a lot of trial and errors but I am much better now.
2. I took up running. I did not start running straight away, I did running intervals. I walked for 10 mins, then light jog for 5 mins. Repeated that for 3x. I kept increasing the repetition until finally I could jog without wanting to die and then finally run. I now has ran four 5Ks and three 10Ks all the while still being categorized as “overweight” according to my BMI.
3. I count calories. Counting calories is a bitch, not gonna lie, but it works. Be aware of what you are putting inside your body.
4. I went cold turkey on fast food, soda/sugary drinks and deep fried foods. I still have chocolate because I love chocolate. But instead of having it everyday like I used to, I have ONE chocolate bar (KIT KAT Chunky- my fav) once a month. I don’t suggest going cold turkey for you, it’s not for everyone but it works for me.
5. Strength training. Do not be afraid of lifting weights, and please for the love of all that is pure and true do lift more than 3lbs. I am lifting 5kg (11lbs) and I am just gonna go higher. Muscle is good. Muscle helps your metabolism. Muscle, is not the enemy. Lift weights, it is good for you.
6. I joined SparkPeople.com. It is like this online weightloss community, that is completely free with abundance of information. You can track your progress, your food intake etc on it. And the people there are super supportive and WILL COMPLETELY understand what you are going through. You can bitch and moan about being fat to your skinny friends and they won’t understand. But over on SparkPeople, they’re not skinny. They’re obese and fat just like you and me and they will understand. If you do decide to join SparkPeople.com, do add me and let me know you come from Tumblr.
My SparkPeople.com ID: fat_slayer
7. Portion control and smaller meals. I eat about four to five small meals a day. Smaller portions is better for the body because it takes lesser times to burn as opposed to big portions.
8. Hydrate yourself. They say drink 8 glass a day, I drink 2 litres a day. I lug a big bottle of water EVERYWHERE and just keep sipping it. Green tea is also awesome.
9. Quite possibly, the most important bit: EDUCATE YOURSELF. You can look at all the fitspo pics and motivational quotes, but if you do not know how your body works, what your are eating, how calories works then it is really no use. In order to conquer something, you must first learn about it. Learn about weightloss and use your knowledge to conquer it.
Hope this helps! If you need to know anything else, and if I can help in any way, let me know.